Death toll in Pakistan`s suicide attack is 84
Islamabad: The death toll rose to 84 in the devastating suicide bombing that hit a busy market in the Pakistan`s southwestern city of Quetta, officials said on Sunday.
Hospital sources and police confirmed the number of causalities, adding at least 173 were, including women and children, were injured in the Saturday explosion.
The attack targeted the market at the Karani road in Hazara town, an area dominated by Shia Muslims.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Wazir Khan said powerful explosives were fitted in the hidden cavities of a tanker that was driven to the busy market in the evening when people were busy in routine shopping.
The suicide bomber exploded the tanker-bomb that killed at least 63 people on the spot and injured around 200 others besides causing a heavy loss of property in the market.
Police said around 1,000 kg of explosives was used in the explosion. It was the biggest bomb ever exploded in the history of Pakistan, and it left 12 feet deep and six feet wide crater at the ground.
Soon after, police, security forces and rescue teams rushed to the site but angry people of the Shia Hazara community cordoned off the area and didn`t allow any of them to enter and started rescue work by themselves.
The enraged people chanted slogans and pelted stones at the security personnel, saying the government machinery had failed to provide them with adequate security.
The Hazara Shias have been targeted dozens of time in Quetta over the last two years in which hundreds of people have lost their lives.
Later, high officials intervened through negotiations that convinced protesters to allow rescue teams to carry on operations at the affected site.
All the bodies and the injured were shifted to three hospitals where 21 of the injured succumbed to their injuries during the night, pushing up the death toll to 84 including 15 women.
According to the official sources, at least 20 critically wounded people would be airlifted to Karachi by an Army plane.
The explosion destroyed dozens of vehicles and four nearby markets completely including a two-storey building comprising over 40 shops that was levelled to the ground.
Majlis-e-Wahdat-e-Muslimeen and Hazara Democratic Party, the groups representing Shia community, announced three-day mourning and countrywide protest over the incident.
Shia clerics and scholars and tens of thousands of other people staged sit-in across the country on Sunday expressing solidarity with the victims and demanding prompt actions to arrest the culprits.
The Balochistan government observed an official mourning across the province over the mass killings on Sunday as the national flag was hoisted at half-mast at all state-owned buildings in the province.
Local media reported that spokesman of an anti-Shia banned militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) claimed responsibility for the attack.
Balochistan Governor Zulfiqar Magsi visited the injured and admitted his own failure.
Magsi added that he was trying his best to bring peace back to the province besides announcing one million rupees cash compensation for each of the deceased person`s family.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf strongly condemned the incident.
This is the second major bomb attack that targeted the Shia Muslims in Quetta this year.
On January 10, at least 106 people were killed and over 150 got injured when a suicide attack followed by a car bomb blast targeted the Hazara community in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM