Death toll in Quetta attack rises to 91
Islamabad: A woman injured in last week`s devastating bomb attack in a Shia-dominated area of Quetta city in southwest Pakistan died Thursday, taking the death toll in the incident to 91.
The Shia Hazara woman died while being flown in a military aircraft from Quetta to Karachi for treatment, officials said.
"The seriously injured woman was on ventilator and succumbed to her burn injuries on the way to Karachi," an official told the media.
Dozens of people were killed instantly when a powerful bomb hidden in a water tank went off in the Shia-dominated Hazara Town area of Quetta on February 16.
The death toll mounted steadily as bodies were dug out of the rubble of flattened buildings and people died in hospital.
Shia groups have claimed that the death toll is over 100 as several victims were blown to pieces and are yet to be identified.
The Lashkar-e-Jhangvi claimed responsibility for the bombing.
The banned group also claimed responsibility for twin suicide bombings that killed 92 Shia Hazaras in Quetta last month.
The federal government sacked the Balochistan administration and imposed Governor?s Rule in the province last month.
Acting on the directives of Balochistan Governor Zulfiqar Magsi, 37 injured people were airlifted from Quetta to Karachi in a C-130 military transport aircraft.
However, doctors had warned that it could be dangerous to shift some seriously injured persons.
Authorities went ahead with the airlift due to the insistence of some organisations, officials said.
The injured who were shifted to Karachi included 19 men, 10 women and eight children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM