Death toll reaches 29 in Pak building collapse
Karachi: The death toll in residential
building collapse in the congested Lyari area of Pakistan`s
port city of Karachi has touched 29 on Sunday with rescuers saying
that some 12 people could be trapped underneath the debris.
Police and rescuers confirmed that till this morning, 29
dead bodies had been taken out from the collapsed building.
"Apparently there are still some 12 people trapped
underneath the building debris and rubbles but with time
passing, it would be a miracle if we can recover anyone
alive," one rescuer said.
The building that was home to some 78 people had collapsed
in the congested Lyari area on Thursday raising serious
questions about the role of the local government and
authorities in allowing people to occupy buildings in the old
area that have been designated as dangerous for living.
The building in Moosa lane collapsed due to decay and
illegal structures constructed on the premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what