Death toll rises to five in Lahore food street blast
Lahore: At least five people, including a 5-year-old girl, have been killed and 46 others injured in a powerful blast at the crowded Old Anarkali food street in this eastern city of Pakistan, police said today.
Two people died on the spot yesterday while three more succumbed to their injuries at a local hospital early today.
The blast, placed outside a restaurant, ripped through Lahore`s famous food street yesterday night when the place was crowded with families dining out on the weekend.
The police said a time-device was planted outside Bokhara restaurant and the blast damaged several food outlets on the street as well as numerous parked vehicles.
Rescue emergency service, police and other civic agencies reached the spot and shifted the injured, including women and children, to Mayo Hospital, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and Services Hospital.
The injured have been moved to the hospitals, with four of them stated to be critical.
The food street is a favoured destination among families in Lahore who come out in large numbers to the area every weekend.
"I was having dinner with my seven-year-old son and wife when we heard a big bang. My son fell unconscious. Thank God he is alright," said Khalid Shiekh who was at the site during the explosion.
Another eyewitness Ali Raza said he and his friends were waiting for their order to be served when the blast occurred.
"Some children were lying injured and we rushed to take them to hospital," he said.
Lahore`s food outlets operating in the open closed soon after the blast.
Lahore Police chief Chaudhry Shafiq said a home-made explosive device was used and planted near a deep freezer.
"The bomb was detonated using a timer device," he said, adding no group had claimed responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister