Defence ties, new N-reactors focus of Kayani`s talks in China
Beijing: The China-Pakistan defence ties
and the problems being encountered by Beijing to build two new
nuclear reactors to Islamabad are expected to dominate
Pakistan Army Chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani`s talks here.
The nuclear issue was expected to take the centre
stage in talks between Gen. Kayani and his interlocutors in
the Peoples Liberation Army, (PLA), which shares strong ties
with Pakistan Army by virtue of being a strategic ally and its
main source of supply of weapons.
Gen. Kayani`s five-day visit to China, which began
today, coincides with the remarks by the US State Department
spokesperson P J Crowley that Washington has sought a
clarification from Beijing about its plans to sell two
additional nuclear reactors to Pakistan.
Crowley said China should secure the approval of the
46-nation Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) if it wants to go
ahead with the controversial deal.
The top general`s visit comes ahead of the next week?s
NSG meeting in New Zealand where the issue is expected to come
up in a big way.
China steadfastly remained silent after its reported
agreement to build two 650 mw nuclear power plants was
publicised last month.
The issue apparently was discussed in detail during
the last month`s strategic and economic dialogue between US
and China headed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Analysts say that the deal could run into problems if
China has not declared its plans to build the two nuclear
plants when it joined the NSG.
Beijing has already built two nuclear plants at
Chashma in Pakistan before it joined NSG.
The deteriorating situation in Afghanistan and
increasing militant attacks within Pakistan is also expected
to figure prominently during Kiyani?s talks with PLA Generals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail