Defunct Pak group claims role in Punjab CM`s victory in 2008
Islamabad: The Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat, considered a front for the banned Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan, has claimed it played a key role in Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif`s victory in a bye-election in 2008.
Khadim Hussain Dhillon, the central secretary general of the ASWJ, made the claim after Sharif`s PML-N party sought to deny its links with the ASWJ.
Angered by the PML-Ns "changing tone and tenor" towards it, the ASWJ has reminded Shahbaz Sharif that he owes his chief ministership to the party, according to a report in The News today.’
The ASWJ withdrew its candidate in Bhakar constituency of the Punjab Assembly to ensure Shahbaz Sharif’’s election in June 2008.
Sharif was elected unopposed after 17 candidates were "made to withdraw from the race", the report said.
The Punjab government recently launched a crackdown on the ASWJ, SSP and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi in connection with terror attacks that killed nearly 200 people, a majority of them Shias, in the southwestern city of Quetta.
After PML-N spokesman Pervaiz Rasheed said he hardly knew about the existence of a party named ASWJ, Dhillon advised Rasheed to check with Shahbaz Sharif on whose request ASWJ chief Maulana Mohammad Ludhianvi had withdrawn the party’s candidate to pave the way for Sharif`s unopposed election.
Bhakar constituency was won by an independent candidate in polls held on February 18, 2008.
The independent candidate vacated the seat and retained another seat he had won.
Sharif could not take part in the February 2008 polls as he was then disqualified by the Lahore High Court.
He subsequently became eligible to contest polls and was elected in the June 2008 bye-polls.
Providing details of the 2008 understanding between ASWJ and the PML-N, Dhillon said: "Our candidate from (Bhakar) was Maulana Abdul Hameed Khalid, the president of the Bhakar chapter of the ASWJ. Of the 18 candidates in the run, 16 had been made to withdraw by the local administration.
"Those left in the field were Shahbaz Sharif and Maulana Abdul Hameed Khalid who had refused to withdraw from the race.
As the by-election loomed, Shahbaz Sharif approached Maulana Mohammad Ahmed Ludhianvi with a request to withdraw his candidate in his favour.
"For further talks, a six-member PML-N delegation called on Maulana Abdul Hameed Khalid at his seminary in Panj Garan area of Bhakar district a day before the by-election.
"They formally requested Maulana Ludhianvi and Maulana Khalid on behalf of Shahbaz Sharif to pave the way for his unopposed election to ensure the beginning of a new chapter of friendship and amity between PML-N and the ASWJ. Our leadership subsequently decided to oblige Mian Sahib by withdrawing its candidate as a goodwill gesture."
Khalid, the candidate who withdrew in favour of Shahbaz Sharif, said he was extremely hurt for having sacrificed my candidature and facilitated the election of someone who has no regard for his benefactors from the ASWJ.
He said former Punjab Police chief Shaukat Javed had approached Ludhianvi and arranged his meeting with Shahbaz Sharif in Lahore shortly before the bye-polls.
"During the meeting, Maulana Ludhianvi had called me and handed over his phone to Shahbaz Sharif. It was then that Mian Sahib made me a personal request for withdrawal in his favour," Khalid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly