Democracy ‘only solution’ to ensure Pak’s progress: Ashraf
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has said that the democratic system, protected by the constitution is the best system to ensure progress and prosperity of the country.
Ashraf said no one can claim to be a true representative of the masses as election is the only process to determine the real representatives of the people of Pakistan.
He said that the democratic process is only controlled by the constitution and the elected parliament is custodian of this process, the Daily Times reports.
While addressing a function in Islamabad, Ashraf also said that those who are giving lecture on democracy and reforms, should prove their worth and show what had they done for democracy in the past in Pakistan.
According to the paper, he said that it was to the credit of the PPP that its leaders Zulfikar Ali Bhutto gave the right of vote to the people and started the democratic process in the country.
Ashraf also pointed out that the present elected government restored real democracy in the country after a nine-year-long dictatorship following 2008 elections, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!