Democracy ‘only solution’ to ensure Pak’s progress: Ashraf
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has said that the democratic system, protected by the constitution is the best system to ensure progress and prosperity of the country.
Ashraf said no one can claim to be a true representative of the masses as election is the only process to determine the real representatives of the people of Pakistan.
He said that the democratic process is only controlled by the constitution and the elected parliament is custodian of this process, the Daily Times reports.
While addressing a function in Islamabad, Ashraf also said that those who are giving lecture on democracy and reforms, should prove their worth and show what had they done for democracy in the past in Pakistan.
According to the paper, he said that it was to the credit of the PPP that its leaders Zulfikar Ali Bhutto gave the right of vote to the people and started the democratic process in the country.
Ashraf also pointed out that the present elected government restored real democracy in the country after a nine-year-long dictatorship following 2008 elections, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II