Democracy ‘only solution’ to ensure Pak’s progress: Ashraf
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has said that the democratic system, protected by the constitution is the best system to ensure progress and prosperity of the country.
Ashraf said no one can claim to be a true representative of the masses as election is the only process to determine the real representatives of the people of Pakistan.
He said that the democratic process is only controlled by the constitution and the elected parliament is custodian of this process, the Daily Times reports.
While addressing a function in Islamabad, Ashraf also said that those who are giving lecture on democracy and reforms, should prove their worth and show what had they done for democracy in the past in Pakistan.
According to the paper, he said that it was to the credit of the PPP that its leaders Zulfikar Ali Bhutto gave the right of vote to the people and started the democratic process in the country.
Ashraf also pointed out that the present elected government restored real democracy in the country after a nine-year-long dictatorship following 2008 elections, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!