Democracy ‘only solution’ to ensure Pak’s progress: Ashraf
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has said that the democratic system, protected by the constitution is the best system to ensure progress and prosperity of the country.
Ashraf said no one can claim to be a true representative of the masses as election is the only process to determine the real representatives of the people of Pakistan.
He said that the democratic process is only controlled by the constitution and the elected parliament is custodian of this process, the Daily Times reports.
While addressing a function in Islamabad, Ashraf also said that those who are giving lecture on democracy and reforms, should prove their worth and show what had they done for democracy in the past in Pakistan.
According to the paper, he said that it was to the credit of the PPP that its leaders Zulfikar Ali Bhutto gave the right of vote to the people and started the democratic process in the country.
Ashraf also pointed out that the present elected government restored real democracy in the country after a nine-year-long dictatorship following 2008 elections, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves