Dengue emergency declared in Pakistan`s Swat valley
Peshawar: A health emergency has been declared in Pakistan`s northwestern Swat Valley after 18 people died of dengue and more than 5,000 cases were reported in a month.
According to official counts, the mosquito-borne virus has killed 18 people in the valley since August 19. As on September 19, 119 more people were found positive for the disease, Mohammad Wasil, a doctor at Saidu Sharif Hospital, told reporters.
The condition of 32 patients is stated to be critical and they are admitted in the ICU. The total number of affected patients has risen to 5,300.
The health authorities in Swat district of Khyber- Pakthunkhwa province have declared an emergency to cope with the situation in an effective manner.
Wasil said that so far 2,772 patients have been admitted in Saidu Sharif hospital and 2,370 were discharged after treatment.
At the moment, 304 patients are admitted in the hospital, including 12 children and 93 women.
The health authorities in the district have also sought cooperation and assistance of political figures and Ulema to stop the spread of the disease.
The local population and members of the civil society have criticised the district administration and the provincial government for not taking cogent measures to control the disease.
Dengue is spread by mosquitoes that breed in stagnant water and usually bite people during the daytime.
It causes high fever, severe joint and muscle pains and can be fatal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth