Dengue in Pak claims 21 more lives
Lahore/Islamabad: The dengue outbreak in
Pakistan has claimed 21 more lives in Punjab and
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces, taking the death toll to over
40, officials said on Saturday.
Sixteen deaths were reported from Lahore, the capital of
Punjab, and other parts of the province over the past two
Among those who died in hospitals in the province
yesterday and today were a lieutenant colonel of the army and
Five deaths due to dengue have been reported in in Khyber
One death was also reported earlier from southern Sindh
In Punjab, some 600 people have been added to the list of
dengue victims every day for the past three weeks, belying the
government`s claim that there were only 4,000 patients across
According to Lahore`s Allama Iqbal Medical College
principal Javed Akram, the number of dengue patients in the
city alone is more than 10,000.
He said: "Dengue has become epidemic and the coming three
weeks are crucial as there are chances that the virus may
inflict thousands more".
The Punjab government has announced that it is procuring
150 fumigation machines from Germany and medicines and kits
"A 12-member team of Sri Lankan doctors and paramedical
staff is already here to help authorities combat the deadly
virus," a health department official said.
According to a report from the Health Department of
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, 109 suspected cases of dengue had been
reported in the province and 44 cases had been confirmed so
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India