Detention of `mastermind` of attack on Lankan team extended
Lahore: A Pakistani judicial panel on Friday
extended by a month the detention of banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi
chief Malik Ishaq, the alleged mastermind of a terrorist
attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore two years ago.
The three-judge review board of the Lahore High Court
extended the detention of both Ishaq and his deputy Ghulam
Rasool for 30 days on the request of an officer of the Home
Department of Punjab province.
Both men were produced before the board under tight
Ishaq`s detention is set to end on December 23 while that
of Rasool will end on December 21.
Ishaq was released from Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore on
July 14 after being imprisoned for 14 years.
He was freed after he was granted bail by the Supreme
Following a string of deadly attacks on the minority Shia
community that were blamed on the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Ishaq and
Rasool were detained under the Maintenance of Public Order in
The Punjab government later shifted Ishaq to a prison in
Rahim Yar Khan and his detention was periodically extended.
Ishaq was charged in 44 cases but convicted in only two,
for which he received prison terms totalling six-and-half
He was acquitted in 34 cases and granted bail in seven
others while one case was discharged.
Last month, the Supreme Court dismissed the Punjab
government`s review petition seeking the cancellation of bail
granted to Ishaq.
The court said authorities had failed to produce any
concrete evidence against Ishaq.
Besides the terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team
in Lahore in 2009, Ishaq was accused of involvement in the
killing of at least 70 people, a majority of them Shias.
Six policemen were killed and six Sri Lankan players, a
driver and an assistant coach were injured in the attack on
the cricket team’s bus in Lahore in March 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical