Develop comprehensive action plan: US to Sri Lanka
Washington: The White House has asked Sri Lanka to develop a comprehensive action plan for implementing steps on reconciliation and accountability as asked by a resolution passed by the UN Human Rights Commission (UNHRC) in
"The US urges the Sri Lankan government to develop a comprehensive action plan for implementing steps on reconciliation and accountability, as called for in the resolution, and to work with UN experts and its partners in the international community to take meaningful action to achieve these important goals, which will be a critical part of Sri Lanka`s efforts to provide a bright, peaceful, and stable future for all of its people," said Tommy Vietor, spokesman National Security Council, White House.
"We stand ready to partner with Sri Lanka in this important effort," Vietor said in a statement yesterday. The US Government applauds passage of the UN Human Rights Council`s resolution on "promoting reconciliation and accountability in Sri Lanka," Vietor said.
The resolution, which received broad support from around the world, calls for a range of critical steps that would go a long away to advancing the rights and dignity of the Sri Lankan people.
India voted in favour of the resolution.
Earlier, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters that the US wants Sri Lanka to do it (promoting reconciliation and accountability) quickly.
"As soon as possible. We have been proposing and urging this kind of action for many months now. This is pretty straightforward. It is not any different than what we have been asking for since November, which is for the Government of
Sri Lanka to communicate to its own people but also to the international community what it intends to do to implement the LLRC`s recommendations. Specifically, we want to see Sri Lanka take concrete action that brings accountability and reconciliation and to put forward a formal implementation plan on the recommendations," she told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state