Dhaka begins mutiny trial of border guards
Dhaka: Nine troopers of Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) were on Wednesday produced before a special court for their role in a bloody mutiny in February that left 74 people dead.
The nine are among those who took the cue from thousands of their colleagues who rebelled at the BDR headquarters here, drew weapons without permission and misbehaved with senior officers, the court was told.
The 74 killed included 67 Bangladesh Army officers on deputation to BDR, the country`s border force. Also killed was BDR director general Major General Shakil Ahmed.
The mutineers accused the army officers of lording over them and drawing better pay and more perks.
The trial resumed on the second day at a makeshift courtroom at Rangamati in the Chittagong Hill Tracts, Star Online reported.
The BDR chief, Major General Mohamed Mainul Islam, is presiding over the trial, which will by rotation move to six courts set up across the country to try over 3,500 troopers.
This is Bangladesh`s first trial of its border guards that is being revamped in the wake of the mutiny and also given a new name, logo as well as uniform.
Four BDR battalions have been dissolved to enforce discipline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why