Dictatorship destroying Pakistan: Nawaz Sharif
Lahore: Blaming dictatorship in Pakistan for
destroying the country, former premier Nawaz Sharif on Saturday
warned elements conspiring against democracy that his party
will not allow anyone to send Parliament packing.
"I want to tell you today that no one will be allowed to
break Parliament, the courts and the constitution," Sharif
told a gathering of engineering students here, underlining
that dictatorships had destroyed Pakistan.
The remarks of the PML-N chief were an apparent response
to rumours and speculation about the ouster of the civilian
government over differences with the powerful military on the
The government and the Army are divided over the handling
of the investigation into the alleged memo that sought US help
to stave off a possible coup in Pakistan after the killing of
Osama bin Laden in May.
On Thursday, Pakistan Premier Yousuf Raza Gilani warned
that "conspiracies" are being hatched to "pack up" his
Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani yesterday dispelled
speculation of a military takeover, saying it was a bogey to
divert attention from "real issues".
Sharif, whose elected government was removed in a coup
led by the then army chief Gen Pervez Musharraf in 1999, said
Pakistan was lagging behind other South Asian countries,
especially India and Sri Lanka, because of frequent military
He recalled his good relations with the then Indian Prime
Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and claimed they had come close
to resolving the Kashmir issue.
"Vajpayee sahab and I had decided to solve all
outstanding issues, including Kashmir," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state