Did Marc Grossman meet Taliban in Qatar?
Washington: Special US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Marc Grossman appears to have met Taliban representatives in Qatar when he was in the Gulf nation early this week, but the State Department is keeping mum.
State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland threw enough hints which could be interpreted that Grossman could have had encounter with Taliban representatives, but did not respond directly to such a question at her press conference.
"Because if this process is going to work, we have to give it some time, we have to give it some space, we have to give it some room. But the fundamentals are clear. We`ve been absolutely clear about it," Nuland told reporters when asked why the US would not tell about such a meeting.
But Nuland was quick to refer to the press conference by Grossman in Kabul early this week.
"I would refer you to his press conference in Kabul, where he was very up front that whenever we have such meetings, he talks to the Afghan government about it before and after," Nuland said.
Soon thereafter Nuland mentioned that Grossman had two meetings with Afghan President Hamid Karzai before and after his trip to Qatar.
While one was in Kabul, the other was in Rome yesterday. Grossman flew to Italy immediately after his Qatar meetings. The State Department spokesperson refrained from giving much detail of the Qatar meetings.
"Our goal is to get to a point where it`s Afghans talking to Afghans and we`re not needed to facilitate this. So that`s what he`s working on. But do not expect from this podium we`re going to get into every blow-by-blow. We`re not going to,"
"In Qatar, by not talking about it, you`re making it painfully obvious that he did have meetings with Taliban representatives," one of the correspondents asked.
"You may draw whatever conclusions you`d like, but we`re going to give this diplomacy some space," Nuland said. The State Department spokesperson said Grossman had a lot on his agenda during his trip to Qatar.
"The other thing that he (Grossman) said when he was in Kabul at his press conference was that on this office, one of the issues needs to be Qatari-Afghan direct dialogue on the office, and standing next to him, Deputy (Afghan) Foreign
Minister Ludin of Afghanistan invited the Qataris to come to Kabul to talk about these issues," she said.
"So whether or not, where, who, how on the Taliban side, there was plenty of business to do in Qatar without that. Again, I think we`re not going to be giving the blow-by-blow of all of these sessions," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday