Islamabad: Hundreds of diplomats and
Pakistani and United Nations officials gathered for a memorial
today to pay respect to World Food Programme (WFP) staff who
were killed and injured in a suicide attack here last week.
Five WFP staff, including an Iraqi national, were killed
and four injured in the attack carried out by a suicide bomber
disguised as a paramilitary trooper on October 5. The bomber
entered the WFP office in the heart of Islamabad on the
pretext of using the toilet and blew himself up.
One of the injured is still in a critical condition, said
a statement from the UN.
"The victims of this senseless attack were working
tirelessly on the frontlines of hunger and human suffering to
assist the poor and vulnerable of Pakistan. Their selfless
work to feed the hungry should not have been dangerous. It was
part of the UN’s mission to aid those in need," said UN
Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon in a statement read by UN
Resident Coordinator Fikret Akcura.
Paying tribute to the dead, Ban said that they were
"united in their desire to help the suffering people of
Pakistan" and paid the "ultimate price".
Following the attack, the UN closed all its offices
across Pakistan due to security concerns. It also asked its
staff to restrict their movements.