Discussion on early polls after budget: Pak PM
Islamabad: The Pakistani government may discuss with the opposition the issue of early general elections after the budget is presented in May, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said.
In normal course, the general elections are slated for 2013.
Gilani said here that the timing of the elections could be worked out in consultation with opposition parties, Dawn reported.
The Prime Minister is back after attending the World Economic Forum in Davos.
A ruling Pakistan People’s Party minister told the daily that the elections may take place in October or November. He added that the PPP was to hold consultations to reach an agreement on the election date.
On the defence secretary being axed, Gilani said he had sacked Lt Gen (retd) Naeem Khalid Lodhi for having created a misunderstanding between the civilian leadership and the military and that it was now a closed chapter.
Gilani had run afoul of the powerful Army after sacking Lodhi.
The past few months have been quite tense in Pakistan following a clash between the powerful army and the political leadership. A secret memo said President Asif Ali Zardari had feared a military takeover following the killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden on May 02 last year.
Gilani had taken on the Army by charging the Army chief and the spy chief`s court affidavit in Memogate of being unconstitutional, heightening tension. He, however, took a dramatic about turn by retracting that statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!