Discussion on early polls after budget: Pak PM
Islamabad: The Pakistani government may discuss with the opposition the issue of early general elections after the budget is presented in May, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said.
In normal course, the general elections are slated for 2013.
Gilani said here that the timing of the elections could be worked out in consultation with opposition parties, Dawn reported.
The Prime Minister is back after attending the World Economic Forum in Davos.
A ruling Pakistan People’s Party minister told the daily that the elections may take place in October or November. He added that the PPP was to hold consultations to reach an agreement on the election date.
On the defence secretary being axed, Gilani said he had sacked Lt Gen (retd) Naeem Khalid Lodhi for having created a misunderstanding between the civilian leadership and the military and that it was now a closed chapter.
Gilani had run afoul of the powerful Army after sacking Lodhi.
The past few months have been quite tense in Pakistan following a clash between the powerful army and the political leadership. A secret memo said President Asif Ali Zardari had feared a military takeover following the killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden on May 02 last year.
Gilani had taken on the Army by charging the Army chief and the spy chief`s court affidavit in Memogate of being unconstitutional, heightening tension. He, however, took a dramatic about turn by retracting that statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened