Dismiss Saeed`s plea against US drone strikes: Pak govt to LHC
Lahore: Pakistan government has asked a court to dismiss LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed`s petition against US drones attacks on the Pakistani soil for being "not maintainable."
The Foreign Ministry, in a reply submitted to the Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial yesterday, said Saeed had approached the court under Article 199 of the Constitution, which allowed only an aggrieved person to file a petition.
"Public interest litigation falls within the purview of Article 184(3) of the Constitution, which is the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court," it stated.
The court provided a copy of the ministry`s reply to Saeed`s counsel A K Dogar and asked him to file his response at the next hearing on December 13.
The Chief Justice asked Dogar to come up with arguments on what kind of directions should be issued to the government to stop drone attacks.
The Foreign Ministry`s reply acknowledged that the main focus of US drone attacks is to target terrorists in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan.
However, these strikes are a violation of the country`s sovereignty, it said.
Pakistan government had consistently registered its strong protest with the US regarding collateral damage and violation of sovereignty due to these attacks, the reply said.
Senior officials of the US embassy, including the Ambassador, have been summoned to the Foreign Office since 2008 to lodge protests over the drone strikes, it added.
The ministry further said that the US opted for drone strikes in Pakistan`s tribal areas essentially from 2008 onwards.
However, the frequency of attacks increased in 2009, as 37 strikes were carried out that year, and 115 in 2010, when the US administration decided to dismantle and disrupt safe havens of terrorists in the border areas.
The reply further said that more than 200 drone strikes had been carried out so far.
The Foreign Ministry said it had neither any record nor was privy to any agreement with the US government for carrying out drone strikes.
It said Pakistan government would continue to underscore with the US the futility of these attacks that are enhancing "anti-Americanism" and affecting bilateral relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow