Doctor, engineer masterminded May attack on ISI HQ
Lahore: A doctor and a chemical engineer, both from Pakistan`s heartland Punjab, have been found to be the masterminds of a deadly attack on spy agency ISI`s provincial headquarters here last year.
While the engineer, named Asif, from Lahore`s prestigious University of Engineering and Technology has been nabbed, the doctor identified as Maaz is still absconding and is believed to be harbouring with Tehrik-e-Taliban militants in South Waziristan, according to a senior Crime Investigation Department officer.
"A doctor named Maaz who passed out from the Faisalabad Medical College a few years ago and Muhammad Asif, a chemical engineer from the University of Engineering and Technology in Lahore, masterminded the attack on the ISI building," the officer, who probed the attack, said.
Asif is now in custody while Maaz is absconding and has "probably managed to escape to South Waziristan," he said.
The officer said Asif was also involved in the March 2008 attack on the Federal Investigation Agency office in Lahore that killed 28 people.
Thirty-five people, seven of them ISI officials, were killed when four militants stormed the spy agency`s provincial headquarters and detonated an explosives-laden van outside the building on May 27 last year.
"Asif had prepared the van and the four militants came from South Waziristan for a suicide mission," the officer said.
Asif and Maaz were heading a breakaway group of the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi that was aligned with the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan. Asif was arrested in Lahore.
Law enforcement agencies have taken a few of Asif`s accomplices into custody from different areas of Punjab province.
They were identified as Samiullah from Nankana Sahib, Imran from Lahore and Zafar from Khanewal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why