Doctor killed in bombing targeting Afghan governor
Kabul: Officials say a suicide bomber has targeted a provincial governor`s convoy near a hospital in southern Afghanistan.
They say the governor, Mohammad Ashraf Nasery, escaped yesterday`s attack in Zabul province. But a doctor has been killed and three bodyguards were wounded.
Provincial police chief Gen. Ghulam Sakhi Rooghlawanay says a suicide bomber on foot detonated his explosives as the governor was on his way to visit the hospital.
Taliban and other insurgents have stepped up attacks targeting Afghan officials in a bid to undermine confidence in President Hamid Karzai`s government as US and other foreign combat forces prepare to withdraw by the end of 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged