Dogs set on polio team in Pakistani Punjab, accuse
Islamabad: A polio vaccination team in Pakistan’s Punjab province had to run for their lives after some people accused them of being CIA spies and set dogs on them, according to a media report on Tuesday.
Health Department polio vaccination team members Aasiya, her husband Abdul Sattar and Aneela Dawood went to a village in Cholistan region to vaccinate children.
They approached some women who were picking cotton with their children in a field on Sunday.
Jamal Kulyar, who was in the field, instigated the women against the polio team. He called them American spies and accused them of frequently visiting the area to spy on people, Express Tribune reported.
Kulyar told other men to set dogs on the team. Members of the team were chased by dogs but managed to escape.
They reported the incident to health officials in Bahawalpur district, who then requested the assistant commissioner to take action.
A complaint was filed at Derawar police station.
Polio vaccination teams have been attacked by militants several times in Pakistan`s restive northwest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan