Don`t insult religion, says Pakistani PM
Islamabad: Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf Friday said freedom of expression could not be an excuse for insulting religious beliefs and inciting hatred.
Speaking at an official function in Islamabad as part of the nationwide protest against the anti-Islam film "Innocence of Muslims" made in the US, he said no one should be allowed to defame religion on the excuse of freedom of expression, reported Xinhua.
"Let me make it absolutely clear: this is not about freedom of expression, this is more about hatred, and it also demonstrates blatant double-standards," Ashraf said.
The Pakistani PM appreciated those in the international community who have joined Muslims in strongly condemning the movie.
"Our faith remains incomplete without total devotion and reverence to the Holy Prophet Muhammad," he said.
He told the audience that the president of Pakistan will convey the emotions and views of the people when he addresses the UN General Assembly in New York next week.
"We are coordinating with other Muslim countries as well. Our demand is simple: blasphemy of the kind witnessed in this case is nothing short of hate speech, equal to the worst kind of anti-Semitism or other kinds of bigotry," the prime minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant