Don`t shoot, you`ll wake up Afghans! Soldiers told
London: Coalition soldiers in Afghanistan were told not to shoot Taliban guerrillas planting mines as gunfire would "wake up and upset the locals", a former soldier has claimed.
Craig Smith, 36, said US military chiefs left frontline forces frustrated by ordering them to show "courageous restraint", The Sun reported.
He has written about the orders that were issued to troops in a diary of his six-month tour of Afghanistan`s Helmand province.
A senior officer ordered them not to shoot a Taliban fighter as gunfire would "wake up and upset the locals", the media report said.
They were instead told to stand by and watch.
In his diary in May last year Craig wrote: "After a few days it becomes apparent that when we positively identify people we cannot open fire!"
Citing an example, he wrote: "In Kajaki I saw Taliban digging in IEDs and was denied the chance to do anything about it for fear of upsetting locals. Permission to open fire was denied as it would alarm the population."
A defence ministry spokesman said: "We have not seen the soldier`s diary, but it could be a loose interpretation of courageous restraint."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India