Don`t trespass into others` domain: Pak govt
Islamabad: All institutions of the state have to work within the constitution without trespassing into the domain of others, President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said at a meeting amid tension between the government and the Army.
The meeting took place Friday, a day when Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani assured that the Army will support the democratic process in the country, dispelling speculations of a military takeover.
The meeting at the President House reiterated that all institutions of the state have to work within the ambit of the constitution without trespassing into domain of others, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
President`s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar said the two-hour long meeting reviewed overall political situation in the country with special reference to the most recent developments.
The spectre of a clash between the Army and the government haunted the country after Gilani spoke out Thursday.
"There cannot be a state within a state. Nobody can say that he is not under the government," Gilani said in the national assembly, adding: "Conspiracies are being hatched to pack up an elected government."
At the meeting Friday, the prime minister gave a comprehensive briefing on the overall situation.
"The meeting reiterated its unswerving commitment to the principles of parliamentary sovereignty, constitutionalism and rule of law and said that the party and the government will uphold these principles under all circumstances," a statement from the President House said.
"The parliament was supreme and state institutions were answerable to it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read