Dozens of Pak police officials involved in rape booked: Report
Islamabad: Dozens of Pakistani police
officials have been booked for rape and serious human rights
violations during the past three years, according to an
The report by the National Police Bureau, which was
submitted to the Interior Ministry, said Sindh topped the list
with 91 cases 61 in 2008, 22 in 2009 and eight so far this
year. These cases involved 78 police officials.
The year 2008 was the worst, with 61 cases of rape and
human rights violations in Sindh involving 44 police officers.
Not a single person was sent to jail for these
offences, the Express Tribune daily quoted the report as
The report said that in 22 cases registered in Sindh
in 2009, 31 police officials were booked but only 11 were sent
The eight cases registered in Sindh this year involved
three police officials and only one has been sent to jail.
The interior ministry has sent the report to the
National Assembly or lower house of parliament without
elaborating the details of individual cases.
The report also does not give details about the
present status of police officials who were sent to jail.
In Punjab, a total of 23 such cases were registered in
2008. Forty-two police officials were involved and 18 of them
were sent to jail.
The number of cases increased to 27 this year and 69
police officials were booked.
In Balochistan, cases against police officials booked
for rape and serious human rights violations were either
dismissed due to lack of evidence or on the basis of
compromise reached with the victims or their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing