Dozens of Pak police officials involved in rape booked: Report
Islamabad: Dozens of Pakistani police
officials have been booked for rape and serious human rights
violations during the past three years, according to an
The report by the National Police Bureau, which was
submitted to the Interior Ministry, said Sindh topped the list
with 91 cases 61 in 2008, 22 in 2009 and eight so far this
year. These cases involved 78 police officials.
The year 2008 was the worst, with 61 cases of rape and
human rights violations in Sindh involving 44 police officers.
Not a single person was sent to jail for these
offences, the Express Tribune daily quoted the report as
The report said that in 22 cases registered in Sindh
in 2009, 31 police officials were booked but only 11 were sent
The eight cases registered in Sindh this year involved
three police officials and only one has been sent to jail.
The interior ministry has sent the report to the
National Assembly or lower house of parliament without
elaborating the details of individual cases.
The report also does not give details about the
present status of police officials who were sent to jail.
In Punjab, a total of 23 such cases were registered in
2008. Forty-two police officials were involved and 18 of them
were sent to jail.
The number of cases increased to 27 this year and 69
police officials were booked.
In Balochistan, cases against police officials booked
for rape and serious human rights violations were either
dismissed due to lack of evidence or on the basis of
compromise reached with the victims or their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM