Dramatic prison release for Pak girl accused of blasphemy
Islamabad: Sharpening the focus on the controversial blasphemy laws in Pakistan, a 14-year-old Christian girl, accused of blasphemy, named Rimsha saw a dramatic release from prison, as she was whisked to the helicopter in an armoured vehicle and flown to a secret location.
The young girl named Rimsha Masih, who is also mentally retarded, was arrested on August 16 on charges of burning pages of Quran and was lodged in Adiala prison in Rawalpindi.
Local TV broadcasts showed Rimsha with face covered with a green scarf, being escorted by armed cops to the helicopter from where she was flown away to a secret location.
The dramatic release of the girl highlights the extent of danger her life is in as a lawyer suggested she could be lynched if found not guilty.
Pakistan is no stranger to deadly riots against minority communities after blasphemy charges are imposed on them.
Rimsha was granted bail on Friday after a local cleric was detained on suspicion of planting false evidence to stir resentment against Christians.
In his ruling, the judge wrote that the arrest of the cleric cast serious doubt on the prosecution’s case. He also said she was a minor, had mental challenges and that it was “not believable” that she had intentionally burnt Qur’anic verses. On those grounds, he decided to grant the bail.
The case of Rimsha Masih invoked a huge international outcry as her age and mental retardness put in question the validity of blasphemy laws.
Critics say that the blasphemy law is being used to target the vulnerable minorities in Pakistan.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule