Drone worry ok...what about terrorism: Karzai asks Imran
Islamabad: In a letter to former cricketer Imran Khan who opposes drone strikes in Pakistan, Afghan President Hamid Karzai asked him what steps Islamabad has taken to weed out terrorism.
Imran, who heads the Pakistan Tahreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party and is currently on a tour of Turkey, will reply to the letter when he returns, his party said in a statement Saturday.
Karzai also said that "a wave of shock and anger ran through the world over the gruesome attack on Malala Yusufzai", and understands Imran`s worries over drones.
Pakistan should also think how to eradicate terrorism from the country, Geo TV quoted the Afghan leader as saying. He called for joint efforts to bring peace in the region.
The letter comes following widespread condemnation of the Taliban for shooting and grievously injuring teenager Malala Yousufzai who advocated girls` education in the country.
She was attacked last Tuesday in front of her school in Swat Valley. She is currently being treated at a hospital in Rawalpindi. Her condition is still serious.
The PTI chief last Saturday led a huge anti-drone rally that was to culminate in a public meeting next day in South Waziristan.
The rally, which took off from various cities, including Islamabad, was stopped by the authorities in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province fearing attacks from the Taliban.
The Taliban sees the PTI as sympathiser of the west and had warned it against holding the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...