Dual nationality case: Malik asked to appear before court
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Saturday directed Interior Minister Rehman Malik to appear before it on October 3 to substantiate his allegation that there are "many" members of federal and provincial assemblies who hold dual nationality.
The apex court recently disqualified 11 federal and provincial lawmakers and said Malik stands to lose his membership of the Senate or upper house of parliament as they had all made false declarations about their dual nationality during the 2008 polls.
At the time, Malik had told the media that he knew of more lawmakers with dual nationality.
Following his remarks, the apex court had asked Malik to substantiate his claim.
The Interior Ministry then issued a clarification that said Malik had been misquoted by the media and that he had no information about other lawmakers with dual nationality.
Despite the clarification, the court today issued a notice to Malik to appear before it on October 3 and "produce a list of parliamentarians and members of provincial assemblies as it has appeared in newspapers.That there are so many dual national parliamentarians”.
A statement issued by the court said Malik had told the media on September 20 and 21 "that if he is asked by the Supreme Court or by the government, he could supply the names of the parliamentarians and members of provincial assemblies who enjoy dual citizenship".
The statement added: "Therefore, he is called upon to assist the court."
The court issued a separate notice to parliamentarians Shehnaz Sheikh and Ghulam Mujtaba Rai, who have been accused of having dual nationality.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry is hearing the case against lawmakers accused of having dual nationality.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- PM Modi tests performance of BJP MPs on social media; Sushma Swaraj emerges star performer
- CAD to widen to $25 billion in FY17 on surge in gold imports, sluggish exports: Report
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday
- Scary! Truck carrying firecrackers catches fire at Yamuna Expressway – Watch
- Watch video: Top 10 incredible health benefits of pineapples!