Earthquake kills 80 in Pakistan, creates new island in sea
Zee Media Bureau
Quetta: At least 80 people were killed and about another 80 injured in Pakistan as a strong earthquake measuring 7.8 on Richter scale hit a remote area in Balochistanon on Tuesday, reports said.
The earthquake that struck Awaran district in Balochistan province at 4:29 pm local time also prompted a new island to rise from the sea just off the country`s southern coast.
About 80 injured people, including women and children, were brought to the Civil Hospital in Khuzdar, a spokesman for the Balochistan government said. Reports of deaths had been received from Awaran and Turbat districts, he said.
Hundreds of mud-brick houses collapsed or were damaged in Awaran and Khuzdar areas, officials said.
Six bodies were found in Awaran bazar and four more in far flung villages of the district, said Deputy Commissioner Abdul Rasheed Baloch. "I fear more people are trapped inside collapsed houses," he said.
Houses were damaged and the rooves of at least two schools collapsed in Awaran.
The US Geological Survey (USGS) issued a `Red Alert` in the wake of the temblor, indicating a possibility of 1000 or more deaths.
The earthquake was so powerful that it caused the seabed to rise and create a small, mountain-like island about 600 meters (yards) off Pakistan`s Gwadar coastline in the Arabian Sea.
Television channels showed images of a stretch of rocky terrain rising above the sea level, with a crowd of bewildered people gathering on the shore to witness the rare phenomenon.
Though the quake struck at a mere depth of 22.9 km and 145 miles southeast of Dalbandin in Balochistan, the tremors were felt as far as New Delhi and NCR region in neighbouring India where people were reportedly seen running out on streets as the quake shook buildings.
Also Read: Tremors felt in Delhi as 7.8-magnitude earthquake jolts Pakistan
Another quake of 5.9 magnitude was reportedly detected near the epicentre just minutes after the first quake that lasted for two minutes, Pakistani media reports said.
The quake was felt in Pakistan`s largest city, Karachi, along the Arabian Sea. People in the city`s tall office buildings rushed into the streets following the tremor, and Pakistani television showed images of lights swaying as the earth moved.
TV footage showed residents in Quetta, the capital of BalOchistan, coming out of their homes and offices in a panic. One man told Pakistan`s Dunya television channel that he was sitting in his office when the building started shaking.
Other residents said people started reciting verses from Islam`s holy book, the Quran, when the quake began.
Balochistan and neighbouring Iran are prone to earthquakes.
A magnitude 7.8, which was centered just across the border in Iran, killed at least 35 people in Pakistan last April.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday