Editor alleging Bilawal Bhutto-Hina Rabbani Khar romantic links sent to jail
Dhaka: A controversial editor of a Bangladeshi online magazine, who had created a stir by alleging a romantic link between PPP chief Bilawal Bhutto and Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, has been jailed on charges of money embezzlement.
"We arrested Salahuddin Shoeb Chowdhury two days ago and subsequently sent him to jail to face a charge of financial cheating in line with a court directive," Dhaka metropolitan police`s deputy commissioner Masudur Rahman told PTI.
Rahman said Chowdhury, who runs online Weekly Blitz, was arrested as a businessman named Sajjad Hossain filed a case accusing Shoaib of embezzling Taka 6.7 million.
In 2003, Chowdhury had been arrested when he was charged with spying for the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad while Bangladesh does not have diplomatic ties with Tel Aviv.
The weekly two months ago created a stir when it claimed that Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari`s son Bilawal was romantically linked to Khar. The report was dismissed as baseless though it went viral in social internet networks for several days.
Interestingly, the arrest of Chowdhury came a day before Khar`s visit to Dhaka.
Khar, on brief visit to Bangladesh today, called on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and main opposition BNP chief and ex-prime minister Khaleda Zia, held talks with her counterpart Dipu Moni.
Meanwhile, a Pakistani High Commission spokesperson declined to make any comment on the arrest or confirm if there was any complaint against Chowdhury for the scandal but a Bangladeshi official, preferring anonymity said the police action came to prevent him from creating any more controversy during Khar`s maiden visit to Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda