Editor alleging Bilawal Bhutto-Hina Rabbani Khar romantic links sent to jail
Dhaka: A controversial editor of a Bangladeshi online magazine, who had created a stir by alleging a romantic link between PPP chief Bilawal Bhutto and Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, has been jailed on charges of money embezzlement.
"We arrested Salahuddin Shoeb Chowdhury two days ago and subsequently sent him to jail to face a charge of financial cheating in line with a court directive," Dhaka metropolitan police`s deputy commissioner Masudur Rahman told PTI.
Rahman said Chowdhury, who runs online Weekly Blitz, was arrested as a businessman named Sajjad Hossain filed a case accusing Shoaib of embezzling Taka 6.7 million.
In 2003, Chowdhury had been arrested when he was charged with spying for the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad while Bangladesh does not have diplomatic ties with Tel Aviv.
The weekly two months ago created a stir when it claimed that Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari`s son Bilawal was romantically linked to Khar. The report was dismissed as baseless though it went viral in social internet networks for several days.
Interestingly, the arrest of Chowdhury came a day before Khar`s visit to Dhaka.
Khar, on brief visit to Bangladesh today, called on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and main opposition BNP chief and ex-prime minister Khaleda Zia, held talks with her counterpart Dipu Moni.
Meanwhile, a Pakistani High Commission spokesperson declined to make any comment on the arrest or confirm if there was any complaint against Chowdhury for the scandal but a Bangladeshi official, preferring anonymity said the police action came to prevent him from creating any more controversy during Khar`s maiden visit to Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan