Editor of pro-opposition daily arrested in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh police on Thursday arrested the editor of the Bengali daily `Amar Desh`, a pro-opposition newspaper, on charges of sedition and inciting religious tension.
Plainclothesmen picked up Mahmudur Rahman in a raid on the newspaper office at Karwan Bazar area and police said he was taken away for initial interrogation.
Police said Rahman had been arrested on the basis of evidence obtained after investigations on various charges including cyber crimes.
"We have arrested him in a case filed against him in December," a Dhaka police spokesman said, adding that he was also accused of publishing false and derogatory information that incited religious tension.
The December case against Rahman relates to hacking and publishing of leaked calls between a judge of the 1971 war crimes tribunal and an expatriate jurist, police said.
A Dhaka court allowed him to be remanded to police custody for 13 days when he was brought before a magistrate after police interrogation.
59-year-old Rahman`s arrest came amid growing demands by non-partisan youngsters, waging a campaign for strict punishment for 1971 war criminals under the banner of Ganajagaran Mancha, for carrying out "misleading propaganda" calling them "atheists".
The ruling Awami League leaders accused the daily of inciting violence during recent political unrest prompting the government to launch a virtual crackdown on BNP and arrest nearly a dozen of its top leaders.
"Mahmudur Rahman has hurt Muslim religious sentiments, which is totally unacceptable. He has been arrested to establish the rule of law," state minister for home Shamsul Haque Tuku said.
Rahman is a former energy adviser and was investment board chairman during the past BNP-led government.
"He published fabricated comments on Prophet Mohammad to portray us as anti-Islamic and incite religious tension. He himself has defamed Islam and hurt our religious sentiment," Mancha`s spokesman Imran H Sarkar said.
But several Islamist groups staged a street protest against his arrest calling him a "courageous and true soldier of Islam".
Rahman was also detained last year and was convicted on a contempt of court charge and imprisoned for weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm