Educational institutions in Pak reopen
Islamabad: Educational institutions in
many parts of Pakistan reopened today after remaining closed
for almost a week in the wake of a deadly suicide attack on a
prestigious university though attendance in most schools was
reported to be low.
Authorities had closed schools and colleges across
Pakistan after two suicide bombers struck the International
Islamic University in Islamabad on October 20, killing eight
persons, including four female students.
Educational institutions were directed to beef up
their security before reopening.
Most schools and colleges in the federal capital and
Punjab and Sindh provinces reopened today but reports said
attendance was as low as 50 per cent in many cities as parents
were apprehensive about sending their children for classes due
to fears of more attacks.
In Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad, some private schools
chose to remain closed for a few more days so that they could
put in place better security measures.
Some schools in Lahore also remained closed as
authorities said they had failed to comply with security
guidelines framed by the government.
In Balochistan province, educational institutions will
remain closed for three more days to mourn the assassination
of Education Minister Shafiq Ahmed Khan, who was shot dead by
members of a nationalist group yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?