Egyptian President to visit Pak on March 18
Islamabad: Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi will visit Pakistan with a high-powered delegation on March 18 before travelling to India for a three-day official visit.
This will be the first bilateral visit by an Egyptian leader to Pakistan since the 1960s, when the late Gamal Abdel Nasser travelled to the country.
Mursi is visiting Pakistan at the invitation of his counterpart Asif Ali Zardari. "President Mursi`s decision to choose Pakistan as the first South Asian country for a bilateral visit manifests Egypt`s desire to add a new chapter to its bilateral ties with Pakistan," said a statement from the Foreign Office.
The visit is being seen as "a watershed and a landmark in the traditional and friendly relations between the two large and important Muslim countries", the statement said.
"President Mursi is the first civilian, democratically and freely elected President of Egypt to visit Pakistan," it added.
Mursi`s engagements in Islamabad will include a one-on-one meeting with Zardari, delegation-level talks and a banquet hosted by the Pakistani President.
"The two leaders are expected to hold extensive discussions on all areas of bilateral relations, including regional and international issues of mutual interest. They would also be signing a number of agreements," the statement said.
"President Mursi`s visit is expected to impart dynamism to bilateral ties and to expand, diversify and strengthen relations between the two countries in all spheres," said Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry.
On his arrival, Mursi will be welcomed by a 21-gun salute and accorded a guard of honour at the presidency, he said.
Mursi and his high-level delegation of ministers and business leaders are scheduled to visit India during March 18-21.
The Egyptian President was earlier scheduled to visit Islamabad in November to participate in the Developing Eight Summit but cancelled his programme due to the situation in Gaza.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark