Eight BNP leaders jailed, party calls for 36-hour strike
Dhaka: Eight stalwarts of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party were sent to jail on Sunday after being refused bail in connection with cases filed against them for last month`s violence in the capital, prompting the party to call a 36-hour nationwide strike from April 9.
Three separate courts in Dhaka sent the eight leaders to jail, refusing their bail petition as they appeared in the docks after police filed a series of cases accusing them of vandalism during opposition street protests last month as part of their anti-government campaign.
Announcing the strike, BNP spokesman Salahuddin Ahmed strongly criticised the courts` decision and said, "The government has adopted the strategy of repressing the opposition to divert the peoples’ attention from its misdeeds and failures."
The development came a day after tens of thousands of supporters of a radical Muslim group today wrapped up a rally demanding stern punitive action against `atheist bloggers` under a blasphemy law.
Soon after the BNP`s strike call, suspected opposition activists set fire to five buses and cars in different parts of the capital prompting transport operators and owners to quickly withdraw their vehicles fearing violence.
The government in a simultaneous action ordered paramilitary Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) to patrol Dhaka streets to enforce a security vigil against vandalism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand