Eight killed in Afghanistan suicide attack
Kabul: A suicide bomber targeted a bus of Afghan armed forces in the fortified capital city Kabul, leaving at least eight people dead and over a dozen others injured Wednesday.
Defence ministry spokesman Zahir Azimi confirmed the incident, saying eight personnel of the national army lost their lives in the attack and 13 others sustained injuries, according to Xinhua.
The ill-fated bus, according to eyewitnesses at the site of the blast, belonged to the air force of the militancy-plagued country.
Immediately after the deadly suicide bombing, Taliban militants who have been fighting in the southern Helmand province to strengthen their hold, claimed responsibility for the attack in Kabul.
Taliban`s purported spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, in a statement posted on the outfit`s website, claimed that a Taliban suicide bomber, Rahmatullah Walid of the southern Zabul province, carried out the suicide attack against a bus of government soldiers in Kabul Wednesday morning, killing and injuring over two dozen military personnel.
Meanwhile, the Afghan interior ministry in a statement released here termed the suicide bombing as a cowardly terrorist attack and strongly condemned it.
According to the interior ministry`s statement, 16 people, including three civilians and 13 military personnel, were injured in the suicide blast.
Besides denouncing the attack as a terrorist and inhuman act, the interior ministry expressed sympathy for the families of the victims.
The Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant since the armed Taliban outfit launched the so-called spring offensive in May against Afghan and foreign security forces stationed in Afghanistan.
The Taliban outfit has called upon civilians to stay away from official gatherings, military convoys and centers regarded as legitimate targets by militants besides warning people not to support the government and foreign troops serving in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’