Eight killed in Bangladesh accident
Dhaka: Eight people were killed and 35 others got injured in a road accident in Bangladesh, police said.
The accident took place Saturday afternoon when two passenger buses coming from opposite directions collided head-on in Gobindaganj in Gaibandha district, some 270 km northwest of the capital Dhaka, Xinhua reported citing Sheikh Delwar Hossain, police chief of Gobindaganj.
While five people died on the spot, three more passengers succumbed to their injuries on the way to hospital, Hossain said, adding the cause of the accident is being probed.
Bangladesh has one of the highest fatality rates for road accidents in the world, mainly due to shoddy highways, poorly-maintained vehicles, violation of traffic rules by inept drivers and lack of monitoring of the traffic department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state