Eight killed in Bangladesh accident
Dhaka: Eight people were killed and 35 others got injured in a road accident in Bangladesh, police said.
The accident took place Saturday afternoon when two passenger buses coming from opposite directions collided head-on in Gobindaganj in Gaibandha district, some 270 km northwest of the capital Dhaka, Xinhua reported citing Sheikh Delwar Hossain, police chief of Gobindaganj.
While five people died on the spot, three more passengers succumbed to their injuries on the way to hospital, Hossain said, adding the cause of the accident is being probed.
Bangladesh has one of the highest fatality rates for road accidents in the world, mainly due to shoddy highways, poorly-maintained vehicles, violation of traffic rules by inept drivers and lack of monitoring of the traffic department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar Board Intermediate Result: BSEB 12th Result 2016 to be declared shortly
- Sadhguru to lead yoga session at UN on 2nd International Yoga Day
- Priyanka Chopra shares throwback pic of her nani on her 94th birthday! – View pic
- US military restricts troops after murder in Okinawa
- Pakistan can help US destabilise Taliban: Senator Bob Corker