Eight students sentenced to death in Bangladesh
Dhaka: A court on Wednesday sentenced eight Bangladesh Chhatra League activists to death and 13 to life imprisonment for killing tailor Bishwajit Das in Old Dhaka a year ago, media reported.
The verdict was delivered by Dhaka`s Speedy Trial Tribunal-4, according to The Daily Star. "The tribunal thinks justice will be served by awarding maximum punishment considering the extent of the crime," bdnews24.com quoted Judge ABM Nizamul Haq as saying in his ruling.
The crime was committed in broad daylight, not in the dead of night. It was a heinous and deplorable killing, said the court about the incident that happened during the opposition`s blockade in December last year.
It observed that the Bishwajit murder case was quite sensitive and different from other lawsuits.
Of the eight condemned killers, two are absconding, while 11 of the 13 convicts, who got life term, are also on the run. Most of them are students of Jagannath University.
Bangladesh Chhatra League is a pro-Awami League student body.
The incident took place on December 09 when Bishwajit, 24, was going to his shop. He was chased by a group of activists of Jagannath University BCL unit after they mistook him for a blockader. He was beaten up and hacked to death with sharp weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends