Eight students sentenced to death in Bangladesh
Dhaka: A court on Wednesday sentenced eight Bangladesh Chhatra League activists to death and 13 to life imprisonment for killing tailor Bishwajit Das in Old Dhaka a year ago, media reported.
The verdict was delivered by Dhaka`s Speedy Trial Tribunal-4, according to The Daily Star. "The tribunal thinks justice will be served by awarding maximum punishment considering the extent of the crime," bdnews24.com quoted Judge ABM Nizamul Haq as saying in his ruling.
The crime was committed in broad daylight, not in the dead of night. It was a heinous and deplorable killing, said the court about the incident that happened during the opposition`s blockade in December last year.
It observed that the Bishwajit murder case was quite sensitive and different from other lawsuits.
Of the eight condemned killers, two are absconding, while 11 of the 13 convicts, who got life term, are also on the run. Most of them are students of Jagannath University.
Bangladesh Chhatra League is a pro-Awami League student body.
The incident took place on December 09 when Bishwajit, 24, was going to his shop. He was chased by a group of activists of Jagannath University BCL unit after they mistook him for a blockader. He was beaten up and hacked to death with sharp weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM