Eight suspected militants killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: Eight suspected Taliban militants were killed and 10 injured as protesters and police clashed in Afghanistan`s Kandahar province, an official said.
The incident occurred on Wednesday as a large number of people staged a demonstration in the province`s Maiwand district, condemning Pakistani military incursion in Nangarhar province`s Goshta district, Xinhua reported.
"But the Taliban elements availing opportunity hiding themselves among the demonstrators and opened fire on police, " said the official requesting anonymity, adding eight rebels (militants) were killed in police response.
Afghan and Pakistani border forces have exchanged fire twice since last Wednesday in Goshta district. Since then the people have staged rallies in different cities including Kandahar to denounce the alleged Pakistani incursion into Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what