Eight troops die in two days in Afghanistan: NATO
Kabul: Eight NATO service members have been killed in the past two days of fighting in Afghanistan, where the US-led coalition is still mourning the deaths of 30 American troops and eight Afghans killed in the shootdown of their Chinook helicopter in the east, military officials said Friday.
The latest service member to be killed died on Friday in a roadside bombing in southern Afghanistan, the coalition said. On Thursday, five US troops died in a separate roadside bomb blast in the south, US military officials said. No other details were released about the deaths.
Also on Thursday, a French soldier was killed when a roadside bomb exploded on a convoy 4 miles (7 kilometres) south of Tagab in Kapisa province in the east, the French Defence Ministry said in a statement. Four other French soldiers were wounded in the attack.
Another NATO service member died on Thursday in an insurgent attack in the south, according to the US-led coalition. The soldier`s nationality was not disclosed.
So far this year, 377 American and other NATO service members have died in the war in Afghanistan.
Thirty US troops were killed in the August 06 helicopter crash in Wardak province. The coalition has said that the chopper was apparently shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade, but is investigating whether other causes contributed to the crash.
The victims included 17 members of the elite Navy SEALs, five Naval Special Warfare personnel who support the SEALs, three Air Force Special Operations personnel, an Army helicopter crew of five, seven Afghan commandos and an Afghan interpreter.
The crash comes amid fears that the country is far from stable even though US and NATO forces have begun to leave Afghanistan. US military officials have tried to counter those fears, saying that while the downing of the Chinook was a tragic setback, one crash will not determine the course of the war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!