`Elections should be held under Army supervision`
Lahore: Pakistan`s former military ruler Pervez Musharraf wants the country`s next general election to be held under the supervision of the Army and not a caretaker government.
"The next general election should be held under the supervision of the Army to ensure transparency and fairness," said the former Army chief, currently living in self-exile outside Pakistan.
Addressing workers of his All Pakistan Muslim League party at Yuhanabad Christian Society in Lahore via a video link from London on Sunday, Musharraf also called for the holding of the polls without any further delay to steer Pakistan out of a crisis.
Musharraf, who is the president of the All Pakistan Muslim League, said polls were the only way to overcome the troubles Pakistan was facing on Monday.
He said the country had reached the verge of disaster due to power outages and the Pakistan People`s Party`s government and the opposition PML-N had done nothing practical to address this issue.
The people recalled his regime when there were no power cuts and the cost of living was not so high, he claimed.
Musharraf said the people should not vote for those who had been tried time and again.
He said he would return to Pakistan before the next election, which is officially scheduled for March 2013.
Musharraf had earlier announced his homecoming on March 23 this year but later deferred the move on the advice of "friends" in the Army.
The former military ruler has been declared a "proclaimed offender" or fugitive by an anti-terrorism court for failing to cooperate with investigators probing the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto.
The court has also issued an arrest warrant for Musharraf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!