Eleven security personnel killed in attacks in Pakistan
Islamabad: At least 11 Pakistani security personnel were killed in a militant attack on a checkpost and a roadside bomb explosion in restive regions of the country, officials said today.
In the first incident, six security personnel were killed and 16 others injured when militants attacked a check post in the restive Khyber tribal region of northwest Pakistan.
Militants attacked a check post in Shalobar area in Khyber Agency.
State-run Radio Pakistan quoted officials as saying that six security personnel were killed and 16 others injured.
Security forces retaliated against the attack and forced the militants to retreat, the officials said.
The reports said personnel of the Frontier Corps and Khasadar militia were among those killed in the overnight clash.
The militants attacked the troops with heavy weapons that damaged one of the check posts.
The attack occurred in an area dominated by the Lashkar- e-Islam group led by warlord Mangal Bagh Afridi.
In the second incident, five policemen, including an officer, were killed when their vehicle was targeted with a roadside bomb in the restive Balochistan province of southwest Pakistan today, officials said.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Nasim Baloch was on his way home when his vehicle was targeted with a remote-controlled bomb in Panjgur town, 600 km southwest of the provincial capital Quetta.
Baloch, two guards and a driver were killed instantly while another policeman succumbed to his injuries while being taken to hospital, senior police Gul Hussain said.
The vehicle was destroyed by the blast.
Police officials said an estimated 10 kg of explosives were used in the attack.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL