Emirates did not get TSA heads-up about Shahzad: Official

US law enforcement authorities alerted a few airlines that Faisal Shahzad`s name had been added to a `no-fly list`.

Updated: May 07, 2010, 00:39 AM IST

New York: US law enforcement authorities
alerted a few airlines that Faisal Shahzad`s name had been
added to a `no-fly list`, but Emirates, the airline the Times
Square car bomb suspect boarded to flee the country, was not
one of them, an administration official has said.

For reasons related to the investigation, the FBI asked
the Transportation Security Administration not to call every
airline to alert them about the no-fly list change, CNN
reported today.

Even though air carriers are automatically informed
about additions to the no-fly list, law enforcement
authorities will also alert airlines to be on the lookout for
a new name on the list.

The 30-year-old Pakistani-American`s name was added to
the no-fly list 12:30 p.m. on Monday and nine minutes later an
automated message went out to air carriers advising them of a
special addition to the list, the report said.

Shahzad`s name was not caught by Emirates at 6:30 p.m.
when he made his reservation while driving to the airport or
at 7:35 p.m. when he showed up at the counter and bought his
ticket with cash. The airline had not yet updated its no-fly
list, it said.

Law enforcement authorities removed Shahzad from the
Dubai-bound flight after he boarded the plane. Customs and
Border Protection officials saw Shahzad`s name on the
passenger list, prompting authorities to arrest him.

The incident has now prompted a new government
requirement.
Previously airlines had to check the no-fly list within
24 hours after changes were made to it. The US government on
Wednesday ordered airlines to check an updated list within two
hours after its issuance.

Shahzad has admitted he drove a Nissan Pathfinder into
Times Square on Saturday night and attempted to detonate the
vehicle, which was packed with gasoline, propane tanks,
fireworks and nonexplosive fertilizer, according to a
complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in New York.

He has been charged with attempting to use a weapon of
mass destruction, acts of terrorism transcending national
boundaries and three other counts in connection with the
incident. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.

PTI

Tags: