EU calls for transitional justice mechanism in Nepal
Kathmandu: The European Union mission in
Kathmandu have urged Nepal government and political parties in
Nepal to expedite the process of establishing a Truth and
Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and a commission on Inquiry on
Disappearances so as to address the impunity of the decade
long conflict and to provide transitional justice.
We urge the Legislative Parliament to agree quickly on the
transitional justice mechanisms such as establishing the TRC
and a Commission on Disappearances to address impunity, said a
joint press release issued by the EU Mission in Kathmandu
together with Norway, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Australia and
Japan on the eve of International Human Rights Day.
Acknowledging the progress made by Nepal in the area of
human rights during the last few years, the EU Mission and
other partners have called on the government of Nepal to make
additional strong efforts to protect and promote fundamental
human rights and to meet its obligations under international
law in order to consolidate peace and democracy.
They also urged that the Bill on the National Human Rights
Commission secures a sound legal base that guarantees its
They called on the Nepal Government to ensure that the
rights of journalists, lawyers and other human rights
defenders are upheld in order that they are able to play their
rightful role in a democracy and that activists enjoy the full
protection of the rule of law.
They have also reaffirmed their continued commitment and
full support to Nepal at this pivotal moment in its history.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- No plans to restart ceasefire with NSCN-K: Home ministry
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to go back to Goa after Union Cabinet reshuffle?
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating