EU calls for transitional justice mechanism in Nepal
Kathmandu: The European Union mission in
Kathmandu have urged Nepal government and political parties in
Nepal to expedite the process of establishing a Truth and
Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and a commission on Inquiry on
Disappearances so as to address the impunity of the decade
long conflict and to provide transitional justice.
We urge the Legislative Parliament to agree quickly on the
transitional justice mechanisms such as establishing the TRC
and a Commission on Disappearances to address impunity, said a
joint press release issued by the EU Mission in Kathmandu
together with Norway, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Australia and
Japan on the eve of International Human Rights Day.
Acknowledging the progress made by Nepal in the area of
human rights during the last few years, the EU Mission and
other partners have called on the government of Nepal to make
additional strong efforts to protect and promote fundamental
human rights and to meet its obligations under international
law in order to consolidate peace and democracy.
They also urged that the Bill on the National Human Rights
Commission secures a sound legal base that guarantees its
They called on the Nepal Government to ensure that the
rights of journalists, lawyers and other human rights
defenders are upheld in order that they are able to play their
rightful role in a democracy and that activists enjoy the full
protection of the rule of law.
They have also reaffirmed their continued commitment and
full support to Nepal at this pivotal moment in its history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday