EU foreign policy chief to visit Pakistan
Islamabad: Baroness Catherine Ashton, the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, will visit Islamabad during June 4-6 to launch the Pakistan- European Union Strategic Dialogue.
The Strategic Dialogue is being launched in line with a decision made at the first Pakistan-EU Summit held in 2009.
The dialogue will provide modalities to implement the Pakistan-EU five-year engagement plan finalised in January.
The Pakistani side at the talks will be led by Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar.
Ashton`s visit will further enhance relations between the EU and Pakistan and the Strategic Dialogue will provide the two Foreign Ministers an opportunity to identify ways to further raise cooperation and discuss regional and international issues, the Foreign Office said in a statement.
The visit by Ashton, who is also Vice President of the European Commission, will also provide an opportunity to reiterate Pakistan`s interest for inclusion in the GSP+ and early implementation of the package of Autonomous Trade Preferences for Pakistan, Pakistan attaches "great importance to its relations with the EU and enjoys excellent relations with all EU member countries", the statement said.
The EU is Pakistan`s single largest trading partner, accounting for 25 per cent of its total exports and 11 per cent of total imports.
Trade between Pakistan and the US stood at USD 10.56 billion last year, with exports at USD 6.18 billion and imports at USD 4.38 billion. Investment from the EU during 2010-11 was over 230 million dollars.
The EU and Pakistan last year signed a multi-year indicative programme for 2011-2013. Under this, the EU will provide 225 million Euros for rural development, education, health and governance.
Ashton will call on Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and visit Lahore, where she will call on the Punjab Governor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA