EU Parliament criticizes Pakistan on human rights
Geneva: As the general security situation deteriorates in South Asia, and particularly in Pakistan, the world is becoming increasingly aware of the, as yet, relatively unknown area of Gilgit-Baltistan of Jammu and Kashmir – a region which is administered from Islamabad despite the wishes of the region’s peoples.
The increasing presence of Chinese personnel further complicates the situation, adding another dangerous component with the involvement of a third nuclear power in a volatile region.
Jurgen Creutzmann, Member of European Parliament and Chairman of the Friends of Gilgit-Baltistan European Union, slammed Pakistan for numerous reports of Human Rights Violations in Gilgit-Baltistan area.
He particularly showed concern over incidents of terrorism and sectarian violence perpetrated by armed groups. There has been a major escalation of sectarian violence because of Islamabad`s encouragement to fundamentalist Sunni groups. There has been an increase in violence against women and political groups seeking self-rule.
He specifically asked Vice-President/High Representative of the Commission in European Parliament that “why can’t International Media and Human Rights Organizations get easy access to Gilgit-Baltistan?” He slammed the Pakistan Government for not giving access to them.
He added, if this continues then Gilgit-Baltistan, heaven on earth, would turn into hell sooner or later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’