EU raises humanitarian assistance to Sri Lanka
Brussels: The European Union has raised its humanitarian support to Sri Lanka by another EUR 10 million (around USD 14 million), EuAsiaNews reported.
This will finance further assistance for internally displaced Sri Lankans, helping them to return to their homes, and ensuring that basic services are in place for the returnees, said a statement issued by the European Commission.
The additional resources will also bring humanitarian aid to vulnerable Sri Lankan refugees in India, and will reach the most affected victims of the floods that ravaged Sri Lanka`s eastern province earlier this year, it noted.
Many Sri Lankans who had been internally displaced by violence have returned home since the conflict ended in May 2009.
Still, some 75,000 refugees continue to lead a difficult life in camps in India`s southern state of Tamil Nadu, the statement said.
The EU`s executive body said it has been supporting vulnerable communities in Sri Lanka with humanitarian aid since 1992.
Since the end of the conflict in 2009, the European Commission said it has been catering for the humanitarian needs of internally displaced persons in Sri Lanka with a series of emergency financing decisions which total 14 million euro.
Sri Lankan refugees in Tamil Nadu have also been provided aid worth one EUR 1 million by the European Commission for their protection, psychosocial support, water and sanitation and shelter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report