`EU to cut trade benefits to Lanka over alleged rights abuses`
London: The European Commission is to
recommend withdrawing trade benefits from Sri Lanka over
alleged human rights abuses during the civil war, a news
report said on Saturday.
In the most drastic international response yet to the
final stages of the civil war in which UN officials estimate
20,000 civilians were killed, the Commission will make the
recommendation on Monday when it formally approves and
publishes the results of a probe, The Times online reported.
Human rights groups accused the government of heavily
shelling civilian areas and the rebels of holding tens of
thousands of noncombatants as human shields during the last
stages of the ethnic war. Both sides denied the accusations.
The government continues to screen nearly 300,000 war
refugees in military-run camps for rebel fighters. Rights
groups have charged that the people in the camps are treated
poorly and are being kept there longer than necessary.
EU officials said that they were forced into action
because Sri Lanka was obliged to abide by rights agreements
and the government in Colombo had refused to co-operate.
A EU probe, which was completed in August, described
the prevalence of a culture of "complete or virtually complete
impunity in Sri Lanka". It cited police torture, abductions of
journalists and uninvestigated disappearances, the report
The withdrawal of the benefits would add about 6 per
cent to the cost of products, to make Sri Lankan goods more
expensive and force many retailers to switch to cheaper
producers from India, China and Bangladesh, the Times report
The Sri Lankan garment industry accounts for 10 per
cent of GDP, employs about 250,000 people and recorded exports
of USD 1.4 billion (£856 million) to the EU last year.
The Lankan military crushed the rebels in May, ending
three decades of civil war that killed between 80,000 and
100,000 people. The defeat of the Tamil Tigers ended their
quarter-century rebellion for a homeland for ethnic minority
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'