European nations welcome CA extension decision in Nepal
Kathmandu: Major European nations on Sunday
asked Nepal`s political parties to ensure that the last-minute
agreements they have reached to extend the term of the
Constituent Assembly are brought to a successful conclusion.
Welcoming the decision of extension, European nations
including Denmark, Finland, Norway, Switzerland, France,
Germany and United Kingdom and the European Union delegation
said they reaffirm their full support for Nepal`s peace
"The aspirations of the Nepali people can only be met
if their representatives forge a consensus that will bring a
new constitution, peace, stability and prosperity," The
Himalayan Times quoted the joint statement by the European
The major European nations asked Nepal`s political
parties to ensure that the agreements they have reached on the
integration and rehabilitation of the former Maoist combatants
are brought to a successful conclusion, the statement said.
Nepal`s key parties have agreed to extend the tenure
of the Constituent Assembly by three months under which Prime
Minister Jhalanath Khanal will step down for the formation of
a national consensus government.
The breakthrough came after overnight consultations
between main political parties -- Nepali Congress, the Maoists
and CPN-UML -- to forge a five-point agreement on the peace
process and extending the term of Constituent Assembly which
expired last night.
Out of 508 parliament members, 504 lawmakers voted in
the favour of the bill for 9th amendment of the Constitution
seeking to extend the term of the Constituent Assembly for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery