European observers reach Pakistan for elections
Islamabad: A group of European officials have arrived in Pakistan to observe the May 11 parliamentary elections, the foreign ministry said Thursday.
Ministry spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhary said an advance team of EU observer mission was already in Pakistan.
The European Union`s Islamabad office said the team will include up to 110 members, including a core team of 11 experts.
On the basis of special agreements with the EU, observers from Norway, Switzerland and Canada are part of the EU Election Observation Mission.
Chaudhry said requests from the European Union and National Democratic Institute (NDI) of the US have been received for monitoring elections.
He said NDI wants to send 57 observers for the purpose and that Pakistan will facilitate foreign observers for the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed