Ex-Balochistan General abducted from Quetta in Pak
Islamabad: Unidentified men today kidnapped former Advocate General of Balochistan Salahuddin Mengal at gunpoint from the restive Quetta city of southwest Pakistan, police said.
Mengal was abducted by the armed men as he was getting out of his vehicle outside his home at Raza Mohammad Street in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province.
Witnesses told police they had seen five unidentified men kidnapping Mengal at gunpoint.
The armed men took him away in a white car to an unknown location, police officials told the media.
"A search operation is underway in the area," Deputy Inspector General Operations Police was quoted as saying by Dawn.
He said police and Frontier Corps personnel were placed on high alert on all exit and entry points of Quetta to ensure Mengal`s safe recovery.
Soon after the incident, angry protesters blocked Sariab road to protest against the incident, chanting slogans against the administration. However, the road was opened after successful negotiations between police and protesters.
There has been a spate of abductions for ransom in Quetta and other parts of Balochistan.
Most of the kidnapped persons are released after the payment of huge amounts as ransom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader