Ex-ISI chief warns against handing over Davis to US
Islamabad: Former Army officers will take action against the Pakistani government if it releases US official Raymond Davis, suspected of murder and espionage, ex-intelligence services chief and retired general Hamid Gul warned.
"If the government shows any softness in the case of Raymond Davis, former Army officers would play their role in the defence of the national interest," Gul told a crowd of approximately 200 men and women in Islamabad.
"Enough is enough! Americans killed our men and yet our government is apologetic," Gul said on Wednesday.
"We don`t want any hostilities with the United States of America but we warned Americans that do not test our nerves too much," retired General Hamid Gul maintained.
The issue of Davis, an American employee of the US diplomatic mission in Pakistan, has become a bone of contention between Pakistan and the US.
US officials have threatened to cut the USD 1.5 billion of annual aid to Pakistan if Davis is not released, and on Tuesday put but bilateral contracts on hold.
He was arrested in January for allegedly shooting dead two Pakistani motorbike riders in Lahore.
"The whole issue has been mishandled by Americans as well as by the Pakistani authorities from the very beginning," former Pakistani ambassador to US Tariq Fatimi told a TV talk show.
"Raymond was initially described as the technical advisor of US consulate in Lahore by the American embassy in Pakistan. Then it was claimed he belonged to the US embassy`s staff in Islamabad.”
"Pakistan has not kept to a straightforward policy about Raymond Davis," Fatimi maintained.
The case took a dramatic turn when the widow of one of the victims of the Lahore shooting, Muhammad Fahim, committed suicide last Sunday, turning public opinion against Davis.
Davis worked for a private security firm before he went to Pakistan but holds a diplomatic passport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly